It's been a long journey, and I haven't even begun yet.
I've pretty much known what I want to do since I was in middle school.
Well, I've always known I want to be a stay at home mom, but everyone needs a backup plan.
My back up plan has been unfolding for a while. In middle school, I decided I wanted to be a psychologist. I love learning about social trends and cognitive patterns and using that information to better understand myself and to more effectively love my friends.
By my Freshman year of High School, I knew I needed to work with children. I thought about working with LDS social services. Later, I took Child Development. I interned at several elementary schools, preschools, and daycares. I disagreed with some of the disciplinary choices made by the daycare providers. I realized I would never be satisfied being a child psychologist if I couldn't gaurentee that I could alter their home environment.
I decided I wanted to work as an advocate for children with learning disabilities. As an advocate, I would be working with parents who wanted to take action and to do as much as they could for their child. As an advocate, I could make a tangible difference.
To become a legal advocate involves lots and lots of school. Law school. The more education I sought, the less accessible I would become to the parents who needed me most. I would most likely be working with affluent parents against the already floundering school districts. I most certainly wasn't aiming for that. However, I could choose to be a public interest lawyer. I could represent the school districts in a plea to the state. I could write for grants. I could fight for better programs, more individualized teaching styles, even throw in some fights to keep the arts in schools.
I could make such a difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Megan, I'm so proud of you. You are absolutely PERFECT for this. You have just the right personality and determination to fight those battles, articulate the children's needs, and make some wonderful changes. You are going to do amazing things! I am proud to be your sister :]
ReplyDelete