Monday, October 4, 2010

So are you guys, like, best friends?

The answer to this question, suprisingly, is no.
We're not best friends.
We're something better.

Carissa was the first person I met when I moved to San Diego. She has been a part of my life ever since. We have so many inside jokes, it almost feels like another language, and I can be myself around her. We were always friends, but never Best Friends. She wasn't the first person I would call when I wanted to hang out. I didn't gush to her about everything going on in my life. I probably took her for granted a lot, but she was always there.

Sometimes she was the only one there.

When we went on the East Coast Trip, we ended up as roomates. We didn't really plan on it, but we both signed up late and decided to go together. That's pretty much what happened with college. We didn't even consider rooming together for the longest time.
I'm so glad we did, though.

College has been a bit of a shock for me. It's not what I expected, but it's what I needed. The same could be said for rooming with Carissa.

I expected midnight gigglefests and secret sharing. I expected long talks. I expected deep philosophical conversations that shifted our paradigms.
There has been some of those moments, but they have not been the most important moments.
That has never been the basis of our relationship.


I don't have to pretend for her. I don't have to act like I have everything together. I can fall apart in front of her and she still loves me.
I struggle to show her that I appreciate her. I often express how glad I am that we decided to room together, but the sentiment is probably drowned out by other words. I talk a lot more than I listen. I complain and I rant and I whine.

I treat her like I take her for granted.

I hope she knows I don't.
I hope she knows that there isn't anyone else in the world who I would rather room with this year.
I hope she knows that I think she is one of the strongest, most grounded girls I know.
I hope she knows that I look up to her.
I hope she knows that I love her.

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! It brought tears to my eyes. It was so fun to see the love you have for each other this weekend, and to feel how united you two are. I think you truly bring out the best in each other :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tasha! I love this. I remember the first time Carissa came over for an Achievement Day Ice cReam party. Noelle was shopping for Spencers Dragon Tales BIrthday Party stuff. You guys put on the Build a Bear Workshop song and played it over and over. When her mom came she didn't want to go home. YOu guys were like 8 and 9 years old. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete