Over Thanksgiving break I recieved a call from my bishop. "Are you sitting down?" he asked, and sent my mind racing. He explained he was standing in my bedroom - in a foot or so of water. My clothes and shoes were being taken to the laundremat and I was told I could be compensated for any damage.
I wasn't fazed. They're just THINGS, I told myself.
I knew it would all work out.
But it's been hard. I came home Saturday night to a room full of fans and clutter - and no coats or shoes or blankets. Everone I asked seemed to have a different answer regarding where my things were. Some of those things were so pretty, and I loved them so much.
Why did it take a disaster to make me realize that? Why wasn't I grateful before?
"Humans have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted" -Aldous Huxley
It's something we're all very good at. We adjust to ups and downs in order to reach a homeostatic norm, which is good when we're facing lots of downs, but it minimizes our ups as well. We should magnify every up we have, we should delight in simple beauty and exude effortless charity.
There is so much good here.

I will not take these days for granted. I will not continue to sit in my musty apartment hiding from the cold and my own insecurities.
(I will sit in my musty apartment and try to eventually get my homework done... But after that? I'm going to carpe freaking diem. Or noctem, as it were. )
Oh and my sister is getting married! I'm so happy for her!
You carpe freaking diem Megan! hahaha you are so funny. I love ya sis :D
ReplyDeleteMegan I miss you blogging. I hope you start it again. I love you baby. I feel like you have disappeared.
ReplyDelete